Do you own a pet? Are you a dog person? Or a cat person? Or just an all round animal lover?
Well, I have some good news for you. Other than just receiving unconditional love, there are actually several more important reasons to get yourself a pet!
I am absolutely in love with my fur baby, Delilah. So it was only a matter of time before I found another excuse to talk about her. She is a Great Dane and she is needy and snuggly and I could not adore her more. I’m sure you all feel the same about your “fur-baby”.
During a big cuddle with Delilah today, I drew some inspiration to research into animals and why they have this incredible super power to always make you feel loved and admired. There was so much more information than I realised!
Pet therapy is magical. Having an animal in your home or just as company can prove to have astonishing effects on your physical and mental health. It is used in hundreds of different places such as elderly homes, hospitals, schools and so many more.
Here are just a few examples on how pet therapy can benefit you…
Physical Health – how pet therapy can help you physically
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Releases endorphins (oxytocin) into your blood stream that allow for a calm and relaxing effect
- Long, slow strokes create a therapeutic effect, which can be a beautiful form of meditation
- Encourages an increase in joint movement, which can help prevent stiffness and aches (particularly for the elderly)
- Can be helpful in overcoming speech difficulties for children
Mental Health – how pet therapy can help you mentally
- Uplifts your spirits and alleviates depression
- Provides company and someone to talk to, encouraging communication and kindness
- Reduces feelings of isolation and loneliness
- Increases your social skills and sense friendship
- Prevents boredom
- Alleviates feelings of anxiety
Pet therapy is amazing! I highly encourage anyone who hasn’t already to really sit down and consider getting yourself a gentle, loving pet. They are loyal and funny and love you unconditionally and if that’s not enough to sell you, take another read of the list of things above!
As Josh Billings says – “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself”.
To all my animal lovers out there, I hope you give your fur-babies a big cuddle and a kiss today!
Peace and love hippies,