Turmeric is a powerful herb and when consumed it can assist your body in many ways. This herb is native to Southeast Asia and is sometimes called “Indian Saffron” due to its lively golden colour.
Turmeric can be used to benefit your health, prevent harsh diseases from growing in your body and satisfy your stomach in a warm and delicious way.
You can consume turmeric in powder form, as a tablet or extract found in your local health food shop. However, consuming turmeric this way is not going to benefit you as much as it would when you eat it within your everyday food and drinks.
Here are just a few things to help you gain more knowledge on the delicious herb – Turmeric.
A common use for turmeric is applying it to your everyday food and drinks. A few known recipes containing turmeric that I use at home are; roasted vegetables with a little bit of turmeric sprinkled over the top of them or my other favourite – Turmeric lattes!
For the turmeric paste:
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup turmeric powder
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, about the size of ½ of your thumb
- 1 level tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 level teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
For the Golden Milk (serving 1):
- 1 cup milk of your choice (coconut, almond, dairy etc)
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric paste
- ½ – 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener of your choice
- Pour the water into a small pan and bring to boil
- Finely grate the ginger and add it to the pan together with the turmeric powder, cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg and coconut oil.
- Stir continuously on a medium-low heat for about 3-4 minutes. If the paste is too thick, add a small splash of water and continue stirring
- Give the paste to the clean jars, seal and let cool. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks
- To make the Turmeric Latte, gently heat one cup of milk of your choice. The milk should be lukewarm and not hot
- Whisk in 1 heaped teaspoon of the turmeric paste and the honey or another sweetener of your choice. Serve immediately
These recipes are both very healthy.
Prevention of Disease
Turmeric has been scientifically proven that it can treat and prevent various types of cancer. Multiple researchers have found that the active components in turmeric make it one of the best protectors against radiation-induced tumours. Not only does it prevent cancer but it can also prevent Alzheimer’s disease as turmeric supports overall health by assisting in the removal of plaque build up on the brain.
Heals the Gut
When suffering with any kind of gut disease, turmeric should not be consumed in supplement form as it can worsen the condition. Turmeric should instead be consumed in raw form as it is directly sent to the gut without going through the dissolving process. Many key components in turmeric stimulate the gallbladder to produce bile, which then improves digestion and reduces symptoms of bloating and gas. Turmeric is also helpful in treating most forms of inflammatory bowel disease.
Turmeric is an extremely beneficial herb that can be classified as a multi-tasker as it heals your body in many different ways! If you have never tried turmeric – try it as soon as possible to help your body shine like never before!
Love and happiness,
Read more of our blogs here